Varicose Veins Treatment
Varicose veins are veins that have become enlarged and swollen. They are usually found on the legs and feet and can cause your legs and feet to become painful and ache. They can also look unsightly, appearing as blue or dark purple in colour.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are caused when the tiny valves in your veins stop working. In healthy veins, the blood flows through in one direction and valves make sure that it cannot go back in the other direction. When these valves stop working, blood can flow backwards again and collect, especially in areas such as the feet and legs.
There are certain factors that can make you more likely to develop varicose veins. These include being female, being overweight, being pregnant, or standing for long periods of time. There are also some health conditions that can cause varicose veins to develop.
Varicose Veins Symptoms
There are a few different types of varicose veins:
- Trunk varicose veins are bulging and knobbly in appearance, occurring near the surface of the skin and protruding out.
- Telangiectasia varicose veins are sometimes referred to as thread veins. These are smaller clusters of thin, visible veins grouped together. They will appear blue or red, but won’t protrude out like trunk varicose veins.
Symptoms of varicose veins tend to be particularly bad in the warm weather or if you have been standing a lot, here are some things to look out for:
- The skin over the vein may become dry and itchy.
- Aching, pain, burning or throbbing in the legs
- Leg cramps
- Your legs and feet may feel heavy
- Feet and ankles becoming swollen
Home Remedies for Varicose Veins
While you can’t really stop varicose veins from forming or worsening, avoiding standing for long periods usually helps to ease the symptoms. Exercising regularly increases circulation and can help you lose weight, both of which will have the knock-on effect of helping prevent and improve varicose veins.
If your varicose veins are particularly severe or are causing complications, your doctor may suggest a medical treatment such as endothermal ablation to seal the veins, sclerotherapy, or ligation and stripping to surgically remove the veins.
At Tower Health we also offer natural remedies for varicose veins: Ex-Veins Leg Spray. This unique Swiss-formula spray helps to ease the symptoms of varicose veins by reducing inflammation, relieving itching and improving circulation.