Acne Treatments & Products
Acne is a common skin condition that results in spots, oily skin and inflammation. It usually occurs on the face, while the back and chest are also particularly prone to acne.
Acne is caused by a naturally occurring skin bacterium called P. acne. While it is usually harmless, some things trigger a change in its activity, making it more aggressive, meaning it causes acne.
One of the main things that triggers a change in the activity of P. acne is a change in hormones. This is why acne is particularly common in teenagers who are going through puberty. Hormones also cause the glands in the skin that produce oil to produce excess amounts of sebum, and the inner lining of hair follicles to thicken, which causes blocked pores.
How to care for acne-prone skin
- Keep your skin clean. However, you shouldn’t wash your face more than twice a day, as this can actually aggravate your skin. When you wash your face in the morning and evening, use lukewarm water (again, hot or cold water can make things worse). Use a mild facewash such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser or Freederm Cleanser.
- Don’t squeeze spots. It might be tempting, but it can actually make them worse and cause scarring in the long term.
- Avoid using lots of cosmetics and makeup. This can aggravate your acne and further block pores. If you do wear make-up, you should make sure you remove it before bed. You can also try Skinetica, which can be used both as a toner and a make-up base for acne-prone skin.
Topical skin treatments
Topical treatments for acne are products that are applied directly to the skin, such as creams and specialised acne face washes. These should help improve your symptoms. We have a range of different products here at Tower Health specifically for treating acne. If your acne is still bad after trying these kind of products, you can talk to your doctor about other treatments such as antibiotic tablets.
- Antibacterial facewash. As mentioned, one of the causes of acne is bacteria on the skin. Try Quinoderm Antibacterial Facewash for your acne. Used just like soap, it contains chlorhexidine digluconate and mytrimonium bromide for the treatment of acne.
- Nicotinamide gel. Here at Tower Health we sell Freederm Treatment Gel, which contains nicotinamide. This is an anti-inflammatory active ingredient which helps to reduce the effects of acne.
- Benzoyl peroxide. This is probably the most popular acne treatment. It is the active ingredient in Acnecide Face Wash, and reduces the skin bacteria that cause acne, by up to 95%.
- A natural solution. At Tower Health we also offer a natural acne treatment: Acne Ultra Clear Natural Acne Cream. Using quality, nourishing natural ingredients and free from any harsh chemicals, this acne cream helps treat acne and aid in achieving healthy, clear skin.
If you would like any more information or advice about any of our acne products, then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. You can reach us on 0800 953 1666. A member of our friendly, expert team will be happy to help.